Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Better Night

Friday night is family night here at the Downs home, but last night Michael and I were both beat! So we put them in our room with one of the new un-opened movies they got for Christmas and their big green tin filled with numerous flavors of popcorn they received from two of their favorite people, Kelli and Paul. Needless to say they seemed totally ok with the change and they open the lid to see all of the deliciousness in front of them.

Michael and I then took our places in the living room on the couch for some much needed breathing time. It was a long day to say the least. After about 30 minutes the girls slowly creep their way out of the room and onto the couch. Elizabeth is whining like crazy and seems so tired. She and Sarah both got croup this week, but Elizabeth got the worst part of it with the high fever and restlessness and all. So off to bed the girls went so they could get to feeling better sooner rather then later.

Then there was one! Mikey stayed quietly in our room watching Night at the Museum 2. He did at one point come running out saying "Dad, you have to come see this" Michael replies with " See what Mikey, what is it" " Dad he's white and it starts with an L" Michael says to him confused and with a bit of frustration "What are you talking about?" and then so excited and with a huge smile on his face he says "It's Abraham Lincoln. And he is so big and talking and alive and white" We busted up laughing so hard. Why was the white thrown in there so much?? We still don't know, but I think he just seemed to be excited to see something on a movie that he knew all about. No confusion as to who this historical figure was.

After the movie Mikey came walking out with the big green tin can of popcorn in hand. "It's over" he says to me. I said "ok then it's time for bed" Now this is where the usual temper tantrum starts and off he goes for 20 minutes and it's one of the most stressful times of the day. But this time was different, he wrapped his arms around my neck and squeezed so tight and said "Good-Night Mom, I love you" all I could say with this look of confusion and happiness was "I love you too" Then he jumped on Daddy's lap and off they went with their normal airplane flight to bed.

After what seemed to be such an awful two day with his behavior, this was such a welcoming change. It made me feel for just a split second that maybe I am doing one thing right. I just wish I knew what it was so I could keep doing it~ But as I write this early the next morning I just tell myself it's Saturday and he is going to ask again to go to his football game and his friends birthday party. Neither of which he can attend due to his behavior. Will he throw a fit and end up in his room kicking walls and doors or will he start to see that there are consequences for bad behavior and no matter how hard it hurts Mom and Dad we have to stick to our guns? I am hoping he goes with the second choice.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, the life of a mom! I'm so glad you are finally writing on here! MISS YOU TONS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete